April 30-May 1, 2020 | Boston, MA
August 4-5, 2020 | Boston, MA
Join us for a 2-day, workshop where you will learn about the basic formats and uses of A3 as a management process. In addition to instruction, you’ll participate in small group discussions and exercises developed to give you experience in the three basic roles of the A3 process—Author/Owner, Responder, and Coach.
- Learn sound A3 thinking and management by following the stages of learning shared in Managing to Learn.
- Develop your own eyes and ears to recognize effective A3 stories. You’ll be able to describe the problem-solving thinking that is required for each section of the A3 for the PDCA story it tells to be effective.
- Create your own A3s using your own real problems. You’ll work in small groups to read, discuss, and evaluate each other’s A3s and then you’ll have the chance to coach each other, offering guidance on how to improve each other’s A3 stories.
- Learn various forms and uses of the A3 process and explore how each form differs.
- Learn about the role of A3 and the ways it can function as a tool in your organization.
|Date(s)||April 30-May 1, 2020 | August 4-5, 2020|
|Duration||8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.|
|Location||Lean Enterprise Institute
27-43 Wormwood Street |
Tower Point, Suite 410
Boston, MA 02210
|Cost||$1,600 (Includes all materials, breakfast, lunch and snacks each day)|
A3 template from the book, Managing to Learn.The purpose of this workshop is to explore the lessons and insights of the book you will be receiving as a participant, Managing to Learn (MTL)
“I really enjoyed attending your class this week. You had a great presentation style, engaging content, and I was frankly blown away by your expertise. Thanks for making it a memorable experience.”
– Michael Egan, Branch Director, PSAV
For leaders taking this class, we also recommend the companion course: Strategy Deployment and Alignment through Hoshin.
- Managers who want to improve their organizations
- Change agents, lean promotion office managers, and specialists
- HR and OD professionals seeking to improve the thinking, behavior, alignment, and performance of their organizations
- Senior executives looking to improve their leadership and management skills
- Anyone looking to improve their critical lean thinking
- Or anyone with one of the following problems:
- We do not know how to get to the root cause of problems
- I do not know how to build problem solving capability in others
- We do not know why the same problems recur
- I struggle to get others involved in problem solving
- Others do not see my point of view
- No one agrees on what to do differently, so we learn to live with our problems
- My coaching relationship is not helping
- There’s no method to apply problem-solving to cross-functional work
- We do not know how to share countermeasures across the organization
Ready to start broadening your understanding of A3 thinking? We offer a wealth of resources.
375 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014
Workshops begin at 8:00am and end at 4:00pm. Breakfast and lunch are provided with breakfast beginning at 7:30am.
Breakfast, breaks and lunch are included in your registration fee beginning with breakfast at 7:30am. You are on your own for dinner. LEI staff can provide advice on local restaurants and attractions in the area. Please inform LEI of any food allergies or specials needs.
Workshop attire is business casual
Our workshops are designed to cater to a limited number of participants. If you must cancel a workshop registration, you will be given a full refund up to four weeks before the workshop. A cancellation occurring within four weeks of the workshop will be subject to a $350 cancellation fee. LEI will not be held personally responsible for any incidental cost incurred (hotel, airfare, change fee, etc.). To cancel a workshop registration, please call us at 617-871-2900.
What to Expect After Registration
One week before your workshop(s) you will receive an email from LEI containing a link to download an electronic version of your workshop manual(s). Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe-senders list in order to ensure you receive this message.
When you receive your e-manual(s) one week before your workshop(s) you have the following options:
Do nothing. You will be given a notepad and pen at your workshop and the slides and information contained in the electronic manual are the same that will be used by the instructor during your workshop.
Print out a copy. If you prefer to have a hard-copy manual (we recommend double-sided), you may create one and bring it with you to your workshop.
Download. Put the e-manual(s) on a iPad or other device. You may find a PDF-writer App useful in accomplishing this.
Please note that it is your decision to print, store, and access the e-manual before and during your LEI workshop. We will not be providing hard-copy manuals at the workshop and it is NOT required that you have a printed copy with you. If you are unable to perform any of these or need any assistance, please email LEI at email@example.com.
Workshop Materials are available for 30 days after the workshop has completed.
Suggested Reading for this Workshop
- Are You Having Problems with Your Problem-Solving? By Tracey Richardson
- How Do I Start My A3?? By David Verble
- Don’t Present Your A3: Share Your A3 By Eric Ethington
To find your workshop completion certificate, go to lean.org and log in to your member profile. If you do not know your password, you can click the link to have it sent to you. Once you are logged in, go to My Purchases at the top of the page and choose the Workshops tab.